The site of yesterday's expensive drone crash
is still smoldering this morning.
I'm mystified as to how the sign got bent.I don't follow professional sports much but occasionally a competitor comes to my attention who I really admire, not just for the quality of their play but for their character. If you asked me what player (of any game) I'd most enjoy meeting now, I'd name ______, who:
It's not scraped up.
I'm guessing that Escher's choice of a book for air derives from any of several Western esoteric traditions which associate air with cognition and communication. I'm less drawn to an alternative interpretation that elemental air is shown by "air blowing out of the nostrils of the lizard" because that departs from the regularity of depicting the four earthly elements at corners of the scene. In an artwork this carefully and deliberately composed, what is the book in the upper right doing if not representing air?
Air is by its nature challenging to depict visually. Consider for example the artwork for Pink Floyd's 1975 album Wish You Were Here.
Escher's own notes on Reptiles in M. C. Escher: The Graphic Work are straightforward and don't say anything about the elemental symbolism. Escher does however say that "The little book of Job has nothing to do with the Bible, but contains Belgian cigarette papers." Last week, Google's AlphaGo played a match against the world's top-rated Go player Ke Jie. In several respects, it played out like last year's match against Lee Sedol: AlphaGo won, the human player was gracious in defeat, and the match attracted a lot of attention in countries where Go is popular. One difference though: China forbade any live coverage of this year's match. Chinese authorities issued these censorship instructions on May 22:
Regarding the go match between Ke Jie and AlphaGo, no website, without exception, may carry a live stream. If one has been announced in advance, please immediately withdraw it. Please convey the gist of this to sports channels.From The Independent's report on a recent poll of registered voters in the USA:
Voters polled were also asked "do you think America's best days are ahead of us or behind us?" A majority ‑ 62 per cent ‑ said yes, they are.The other 38% think our best days lie on an imaginary time axis.